Sunday, March 2, 2014



Since I am new to a school system which has been 1:1 for the past couple of years, I am excited to learn about ways that I can utilize the technology that already exists in my school to help the students to learn. I have always embraced technology, but I do not feel as if I am really doing everything with the kids that I could be doing. We currently use My Big Campus, but other than posting documents and some limited discussions, I do not feel that I utilize that platform nearly as much as I could. Mathematics at the upper level is so full of symbology and notation that typing mathematics is a critical issue. Also, utilizing technology such as online assessments creates another issue. Everything that is uploaded is a separate picture file and becomes very time consuming. I am sure that there are resources out there to help me, I just don't know where.

One area that I have been able to work with successfully is teaching entirely from my computer and screencasting with a limited number of students at a time. I hold virtual study sessions online in the evenings and am able to work one on one with some of my kids who have been out due to extended illnesses or surgeries. I am also very proficient with Smartnotebook as well as using a Bamboo pen tablet daily as a teaching tool.

I am really looking forward to working with others in this course to learn new ways of implementing the technology that is available in ways to enrich the learning process. 

2 comments:

  1. Virtual study sessions! What a neat idea, Vicki! You do this for your f2f students? I'd love to hear more about those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use screenleap.com and a pen tablet to be able to write on my computer and it allows the students to look at my computer in real-time while we are all conferenced in to a conference call. Teachers can use it for up to 2 hours per day with up to 8 students at one time. Since so many of my high school kids are so busy after school, and since I am busy with my children in the morning, it opens up opportunities for virtual study sessions. Most students really appreciate the extra availability, and I find that it helps the students to be able to reduce frustration levels as well, especially since most parents cannot help their kids with homework anymore once they get to the upper levels that I teach. I also use it to work with students who are absent or who are falling behind for various reasons.

    ReplyDelete